Valerie

Valerie

Smokeless Fire - Samantha Young I think this book is the most difficult review for me. It is populated with a breed that I have little knowledge; the Jinn. Samantha Young manages to build a world with a few facts about those creatures. The dynamics with the different Kings of the Jinn is an interesting one. Actually, I want to know more about all the Jinn characters...except Ari. I had the impression that this book was more setting the stage so to speak than the actual action, which there was little of. I hope the next installment picks up.

Super great beginning and nice twist at the end but the middle has a few flaws, hence the 3 stars. It does have potential and I hope to read Scorched Skies soon. My main problems were : one, Charlie became sober waaaayyy to fast for a drug addict. Two, Charlie is a manwhore to the point that Ari has to ask him if he is being screened for STD...she even catches him having sex in her dad's bed with another girl. How can Ari be blindingly in love with this guy after all this? Is she a masochist, oh wait she shares her misery on other people to cope. It just did not seem believable to me.